Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation

Applying For a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)


If you are a U.S. citizen and the parent of a child born out of the United States, you will need to document your child’s U.S. citizenship with a Consular Report of Birth Abroad.


A Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) and a first time passport for your child will be processed at the same time.


After reading the instructions for CRBA application, for information on how to apply for a passport for your child to please refer to passport applications for minors under 16.


Step 1: Application Forms
Step 2: Supporting Documents
Step 3: Applicable Fee
Step 4: Make a Report of Birth Abroad Appointment




Personal Appearance by Your Child
Your child, even a newborn, must appear in person with both parents at our office at the time you make the application. There are no exceptions possible for this requirement.


How long does it take?
Once we have everything we need, processing time is normally about 20 days.



Entry Into The Consulates

  • Security logo

    Inform yourself of what you CANNOT bring into the consulate.
    Forbidden Items :
    • NO Purses
    • NO Laptops
    • NO Cell/Mobile Phones (including iPhone & Blackberries)
    • NO Handheld Tablets (iPad or similar) or E-Readers
    • NO MP3 or similar music players (iPod or similar)
    • NO USB sticks/flash memory devices
    • NO Cameras or Camcorders
    • NO Portable Game Devices
    • NO Luggage, Bags or Backpacks
    • NO Bottled Liquids (including perfume & drinks)
    • NO Flammable Liquids or Lighters

    In addition to the list above, security may decide not to admit other unlisted items into the waiting area.