Foreign Language Teaching Assistant (FLTA)
We are pleased to announce once again that the Turkish Fulbright Commission will be accepting Foreign Language Teaching Assistant (FLTA) applications for the 2013-2014 academic year.
Below are the particulars of the program and how to apply.
The FLTA program aims at strengthening foreign language instruction at U.S. colleges and universities and some high schools, while providing future foreign teachers of English with the opportunity to refine their skills, increase their English language proficiency and extend their knowledge of U.S. society and culture.
FLTAs will work at selected U.S. universities (see sample list below) as teaching assistants in Turkish language teaching programs. In addition, they will take courses in English Teaching and/or U.S. studies at these institutions as non-degree students. FLTAs also interact with their host communities in conversation groups, extracurricular activities and community outreach projects. FLTA Fellows must return to Turkey upon completing the program
Past Participating Universities
- University of Pennsylvania
- University of Florida
- Mercyhurst College
- University of Montana
- California State University-San Bernardino
- University of Arizona
- Syracuse University
- Brown University
- Binghamton University
- University of California- Santa Barbara
- Boston University
- University of Texas-Austin
- New York University
- Cornell University
- Jackson State University
- University of Iowa
- Texas Technical University
- Portland State University
FLTA Fellows receive a monthly stipend, accident and sickness insurance coverage and travel support. U.S. Host Institutions provide tuition waivers to support the required coursework.
General Program Requirements
FLTA Fellows will be required to attend an orientation in the summer of 2013 before arriving at their host institution in August. FLTA Fellows will also be required to attend a mid-year enrichment workshop in the U.S., which will be hosted by the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs of U.S. Department of State, to share and discuss Foreign Language best practices and their current teaching experiences with other FLTA Fellows.
-The applicants must be Turkish citizens.
-Dual citizens are not eligible (US citizens or US residents).
-Applicants must be teachers of English or in training to become teachers of English at English Language Teaching Departments at Turkish universities and must posses the equivalent of a U.S. Bachelor’s degree at minimum by June 2013.
-Applicants who are from English Language and Literature Departments are also eligible to apply, provided that they have a Pedagogical Formation (Pedagojik Formasyon) Certificate.
-Fluency in English is mandatory, demonstrated by a score of no less than 79-80 on Internet Based TOEFL and 6 overall score on IELTS
-Applicants must be residing in Turkey throughout the nomination and selection process and must return to Turkey upon the completion of the nine month program.
-Applicants cannot have born before November of 1983.
*Dependents are not allowed to accompany Fellows on this program.
Candidates must fill out the online application at:
The application must be submitted online and a complete application package must be sent to the Fulbright Commission along with the following:
- A printed hard copy of the submitted online application
- Official academic transcripts (transcripts must be presented in a sealed envelope stamped by the university) and translations
- Copy of diploma(s) and translations (diploma copies may be certified at the Fulbright Commission offices in Ankara and Istanbul)
- Permission of leave from the institution should they be selected
- Letters of recommendation (recommendation letters may be submitted electronically; otherwise they must be submitted enclosed in an envelope and initialed
- Copy of TOEFL or IELTS score report
- Copy of birth certificate with ID number
- A full medical history and examination will be necessary once a candidate is selected
- A valid passport with an expiration date no earlier than December 31, 2013
The deadline for applications is October 1, 2012 and due at the Ankara Fulbright Office at Şehit Ersan Caddesi 28-4 Çankaya 06680 Ankara
Following a review of the applications, candidates who qualify for the interviews will be notified.
Successful candidates will be announced of their selection via e-mail.
Questions regarding the program can be directed to the Fulbright Commission in Ankara.