Scheduling and Preparing for Your Interview
The U.S. Embassy in Ankara and the U.S. Consulate General in Istanbul offer Nonimmigrant Visa interviews by appointment only. All visa applicants should follow instructions at www.usvisa-info.com to schedule an appointment either in Ankara or Istanbul.
Instructions for applying for a nonimmigrant visa at the U.S. Embassy in Ankara and the U.S. Consulate General in Istanbul:
- Selecting the Proper Visa Class: It is very important that you select the proper visa category corresponding with your purpose of travel and pay the correct fee. Regrettably, we cannot interview you if you have selected the wrong visa category on your DS-160 form. If you select the wrong visa category on your DS-160 form, you will have to return home to correct your application, and schedule a second visa appointment. Please visit http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1286.html to see visa classifications.
- DS-160 Application Form: You must fill out the DS-160 form completely and accurately. Failure to do so may delay your interview and visa processing. If you would like more information on the DS-160, please visit http://turkey.usembassy.gov/ds_160.html.
- Photograph: Your biometric photograph must be taken within the last 6 months. Photographs older than 6 months can't accepted due to the current regulations.
- Appointment & Visa Fee: All visa applicants should follow instructions at usvisa-info.com to schedule an appointment either in Ankara or Istanbul.
- Intra-company Transfer (L) Visa Applicants: If you wish to apply for an L visa in Ankara, please complete your registration on http://www.usvisa-info.com, make your payment and select the special Courier In – Special Age Exemption or Visa Renewal trip purpose to courier in your application package via Turkish Post. After a consular officer reviews your documents, we will contact you and inform you about your appointment date and time.
- Treaty Investor (E): U.S. Consular Section in Ankara does not accept any E1/E2 Treaty Trader/Investor Visa applications. Please send all E1/E2 Treaty Trader/Investor Visa applications to the U.S. Consulate General in Istanbul. Please visit http://istanbul.usconsulate.gov/visa_app_procedures.html to have more information about how to send your application electronically. Iranian applicants may not apply for E visas in Ankara or Istanbul.
- Applicants with Fulbright Scholarships cannot schedule their appointments through regular appointment system as they are exempted from visa application fee. To request an appointment in Ankara please complete the DS-160 electronic visa application form first and send your appointment request from http://ankaraniv.net/d_contactus.aspx. We will schedule you for an interview and send you a confirmation mail. If you would like to get an appointment in Istanbul please kindly contact the Turkish Fulbright Commission in order to have information to schedule an appointment.
- Passport Validity: To be eligible for a U.S. visa, your passport must be valid for at least six months beyond your date of arrival in the United States. If your passport has less than six months’ validity, please extend its validity before your interview.
- When to apply: You should apply for your visa at least 6-8 weeks in advance of your desired travel date.
- Embassy and Consulate Closure Dates: The U.S. Embassy in Ankara and the U.S. Consulate General in Istanbul will be closed on the following days: Holiday/Closure Dates
For more information: Please visit our Frequently Asked Questions webpage.
|Announcement: Iranian Student Visa Applicants (F/M/J) may return to submit passports after they have received notification that their administrative processing is complete: The NIV Unit will accept passports for completed administrative processing any afternoon, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday (except Turkish and American holidays) between 2:00PM and 2:30PM, from July 8 to October 2. The NIV Unit will resume its regular hours for this service every Thursday 2:00-2:30PM thereafter, beginning with October 9.|
NIV Tips & Reminders
If you are applying for a B1/B2 visa for summer travel, please apply early!
Wait times and processing times are shorter in the months of January, February and March
Get Ready For Your Visa Interview:
View the video
Official Visa Services
Schedule Your NIV or K1 Appointment Phone (Turkey): +90 (850) 252-6355
U.S. Based Callers: +1 (703) 439-2348
Skype ID: usvisaturkey
If you are currently enrolled in university, or recently graduated, you MUST bring your transcripts!