Photo Size Requirements for Immigrant Visas
Regardless of age, all visa applicants must present one un-retouched color photograph, approximately 2 X 2 inches (5 X 5 cm) in size, taken on a white background. Please read the following instructions carefully. Photographs not meeting these requirements will not be accepted:
- The applicant must submit one full-face photo, taken within the past six months. A full-face photo is one in which the applicant is facing the camera directly with mouth closed and unsmiling.
- Photograph must show a neutral (non-smiling) facial expression in which both eyes are open and the mouth is closed. Dark glasses are not acceptable unless required for medical reasons.
- The face should cover about 50 percent of the area of the photo.
- Photo must be taken against a white background.
- Photograph should measure 2 inches square (approximately 5 centimeters square) with the head centered in the frame. The head (measured from top of the hair to the bottom of the chin) should measure from 1 inch to 1 3/8 inches (25mm to 35 mm) with the eye level between 1 1/8 inches to 1 3/8 inches (28mm to 35mm) from the bottom of the photo.
- The photograph must clearly identify the applicant.
- The applicant should be dressed in normal street attire without a hat. Uniforms and/or head coverings obscuring the applicant's features, hair, or hairline, may not be worn. If the applicant must wear head cover, the ears and the forehead must be seen clearly.
- Photo should be printed without borders.
- Photo taken in front of busy, patterned, or dark backgrounds will not be accepted.
- Instant-type photograph or digital-quality photograph is not acceptable. Photograph should be taken with a standard single-lens reflex-type camera using film requiring standard processing.
Photos that meet these requirements can be taken at any photo studio. Photograph should be printed on non-glossy (matte) paper.
Photo Size Requirements for Non Immigrant Visas
To complete your online visa application, you must upload a digital photo. Please click here for more information, and read carefully the requirements to upload your photo and the photo specifications.
You must upload a photo in order to submit your application. If the photo you upload is not accepted as suitable, you will be given the option to continue without a photo. In this instance only, after you have successfully submitted the application, please follow the directions on your confirmation page and bring to your interview a printed photo meeting the above requirements.